It dates from 1939 when it was commissioned by the Department of Industry and Commerce for the Irish Government's Pavilion at the New York World Trade Fair. It was installed in CIE's Head Office in O'Connell Street in 1960. In 1983 it was taken into storage by Abbey Glass in Kilmainham at the request of the Office of Public Works. It is now to be found in Goverment Buildings, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin 2. Before being fitted into its new position it was completely renovated by Abbeyglass. This involved dismantling, the cleaning of each piece of glass individually and releading. It depicts the emblems and symbols of the four provinces of Ireland.