Mount Stewart was the home of Charles William Vane (1778-1854), 3rd Marquess of Londonderry during the famine. Lord Londonderry, one of the ten richest men in the United Kingdom, who owned land in counties Down, Derry, Donegal and Antrim, in addition to property in Britain, was criticised for his meanness during the famine: he and his wife Frances gave £30 to the local relief committee, but spent £150,000 renovating their house. They enjoyed a glittering social life and travelled extensively. They collected works of art and furniture on their travels and brought them back to Mount Stewart and among their more spectacular aquisitions were the 22 chairs used at the Congress of Vienna. Shown here is the octagonal Ionic Hall by the architect George Dance the younger (1741-1825).